The Chartered Institute of Journalists has been representing the best interests of its members since 1884. We are an independent organisation that promotes standards and ethics throughout the profession. There are many benefits to membership that not only look after you, but your family, too.
- Are recognised throughout the world as a professional journalist or business communications practitioner;
- May apply for the National Press Card, accepted by every UK police force and government department. The Institute is authorised to issue the card and is represented on the National Press Card Authority which runs the scheme;
- May apply for an International Press Card;
- Receive the CIoJ Journal, which reports the activities of the Institute and industry developments, and can join Journa-List, our on-line mailing list;
- May attend the Institute’s Annual Conference and other events;
- Have a voice through the Institute’s representation on the British Copyright Council, the British Photographic Council, the Creators Rights Alliance, and relevant Royal Commissions and other bodies;
- Are eligible to use the post-nominal letters MCIJ.
The Freelance Directory
Freelance advice guides
Commission of Sale Forms
- Discounted publications – you can take advantage of discounts that the CIoJ has negotiated on behalf of its members, including Hollis and Willings Press Guide
- London Press Club – you may join the London Press Club for half the normal joining fee. A saving of £25
- Discounted Medical Insurance and Hospital Cash Plans – you may benefit from discounts on medical insurance and hospital cash plans through the Hospital and Medical Care Association.
- ALCS & DACS – as a member of the CIoJ you will be able to register with Authors’ Licensing & Collecting Society and Design & Artists Copyright Society free of charge. Both these organisations